Clone and Backup of Hard disks

Cloning an existing hard drive

Post by KimoKeala » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello:

I have a computer that I bought with preloaded Windows 10 and Office 2016 loaded on it. I just found out that my Microsoft OS and Office are OEM versions and cannot be reused on a another system.

I am afraid that if my HDD goes bad, I have to buy new software and OS again. I have backed up all my files each week so that isn't the problem.

If I use your HDClone free edition, will it also clone the OS and Office 2016 software? Will it also set up the startup menu and boot software? How do I use it if it does? Do I use F12 when starting up?

Thanks in advance.
KimoKeala

Re: Cloning an existing hard drive

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm

If you make a complete disk clone, you can then use the cloned disk as a drop-in replacement, with all the settings and installed programs intact.

It will carry the startup menu over from the original disk.

But you should not run the system with both disks in at the same time, because that will eventually lead to confusion and in some corner cases, to a non-booting system.

Simply do this:

- Run Windows
- plug in the spare disk
- run HDCLone, copy the original disk to the spare disk
- unplug the spare disk

If the original disk fails, replase the original disk with the spare disk, and continue working.

After making the copy, you should run a test where you swap the original disk and the spare disk to see if the cloned disk will boot successfully. If it does, then shut down again, and swap the disks to continue working with the original.
If it doesn’t boot, then swap the disks again, and make another attempt at cloning. This time, disable the "Change Disk signature" option in the "Advanced Options".
Alex
Site Admin