Clone and Backup of Hard disks

HDClone explore contents of a cloned drive

Post by gdavoli » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 am

I've cloned an existing drive containing an existing Windows installation to an image using HDClone.

So far so good, but now, I am trying to selectively recover some files from this Windows installation image without restoring the whole image (.img) to an existing hard drive.
Is there a way to browse the contents of a cloned drive (.img) file and selectively recover files?

Thanks
Giuseppe
gdavoli

Re: HDClone explore contents of a cloned drive

Post by Adrian Decker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Hello Giuseppe,

From the HDClone Basic Edition on you can add and mount HDClone images in Miray Virtual Disk. Afterwards you are able to access the mounted partitions from this image via the Windows Explorer. Miray Virtual Disk is an independent application and part of the HDClone installation if you didn't deselect it during the installation of HDClone (Basic Edition or higher). You can find it in the Windows Start menu in the HDClone folder.

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker
Adrian Decker

Post by gdavoli » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:01 am

Hi Adrian,

Thanks, I didn't know about Miray Virtual Disk,
I was using HDClone 3.7.5 Pro that doesn't have it, even though I purchased version 5 which does have it.

At the end I've opted to restore the image to an existing HDD because Miray Virtual Disk requires a permanent activation and I don't wanna waste it since i am always reinstalling Windows on my PC about once a year.

Regards
Giuseppe
gdavoli

Post by Adrian Decker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Hello Giuseppe,

By uninstalling HDClone 5 on a system you can clear the respective Permanent Activation and then migrate it to a new/different system or operating system.

You can check your license status by entering your license key at https://www.nanoways.com/check/.

Please also note, that from HDClone 6 on the Permanent Activations are only bound to the system hardware and independent from the operating system.

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker
Adrian Decker