Archived discussions regarding the Stand-Alone-Tools

How do I Backup Windows Server 2008 and Exchange?

Post by hitechartist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I am upgrading to the version 5 of HD Clone Pro.

I have Windows SBS Server 2008 and it has two drives.
Each drive has raid-1

I would like to image these drives live.
What do I need to do?
hitechartist

Re: How do I Backup Windows Server 2008 and Exchange?

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 pm

HDClone 5 works on Windows Server 2008, and uses Volume Shadow Copy to image a running system.

Activating Volume Shadow Copy tells Exchange to flush its data to disk before copying, so that a consistent status is being copied.
The status of the copy being made is that of an exchange session that was not shut down, but currently working. Please observe though, that some files are not copied this way, because Microsoft set the Volume Shadow Service this way.

You Might need to get to the FilesNotToSnapshot registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot and check that no exchange files are being excluded.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by hitechartist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Heres what I see in that registry key.
I'm not sure if it's good or not.
Can you help?

OfficeODC REG_MULTI-SZ $UserProfile$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\14.0\OfficeFileCache\*.fsf $UserProfile$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\14.0\OfficeFileCache\*.fsd $UserProfile$\Local Settings\Application Data.......

OutlookOAB REG_MULTI-SZ $UserProfile$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.oab
OutlookOST REG_MULTI-SZ $UserProfile$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.ost
RAC REG_MULTI-SZ %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\* %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\StateData\* %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\PublisherData\*

WUA REG_MULTI-SZ %windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s
hitechartist

Post by Alex » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 pm

This means, that ll the files matching will not be included in the backup, i.e. every file in %windir%\softwaredistribution\,
all files ending in *.ost or *oab in $UserProfile$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\,
all files in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\*, %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\StateData\* %ProgramData%\Microsoft\RAC\PublisherData\*

These are the default settings. The *ost and *oat files are omitted because Microsoft thought they would change too often and make snapshots slow, and you don’t really need them. Upon initiating the shadow copy, HDClone tells all aware services that now a backup is being made, at which point the applications should flush their caches, to make a complete backup possible.
Alex
Site Admin