Archived discussions regarding the Stand-Alone-Tools

reboot and select proper boot device

Post by ufish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find this exact problem on the forum. I created an iso to an external usb drive using HDClone about a year ago. I tried to restore it - I created an HDClone boot CD, then booted into HDClone, selected the iso on the usb drive, and target to my hard drive (which is larger than the iso) using automatic adjustment. It ran okay (although I didn't have the option to verify). But when I tried to boot up my harddrive afterward I got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device". My hard drive is selected as the first in the bios. I tried enabling the UEFI but that didn't work. I tried booting from WIndows installation DVD and that just tried to install WIndows. I tried the restore again using free adjustment and got the same result "Reboot and select proper boot device". What am I missing? Thanks.
ufish

Re: reboot and select proper boot device

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:32 pm

What type of device was the image made? Are you trying to restoring it to the same device? With older Windows (XP) you cannot easily change from IDE to S-ATA (or vice versa).

Restore the image with the option "Continue without adjusment" (or Skip Adjustments on newer versions) when HDClone offers to adjust the sizes. This way, no changes to the partition sizes and locations will be made.
Alex
Site Admin